IT Expliots and Musings of an Aspiring Writer

Friday, February 25, 2005

Feelings

There are a lot of feelings and experiences my characters have over the course of the book. If you've read some of the other blog posts, you can probably infer some of them. There's pain for sure, lots of pain. Fear, excitement, worry, betrayal, concern, love, security, the list goes on and on. I've felt most of the things my characters have felt at one time or another. Granted, I've never been in the extreme circumstances they have been, but I can extrapolate.

I've been terrified that I was being followed (back in college...and I wasn't...but thought I was). I've lashed out and nearly punched someone when they startled me in the dark. I've worried about friends, planned major events, been betrayed, fallen in love, felt safe, and even felt pain so intense I thought I would die. (An HSG test would be an effective interrogation/torture method...I swear, I would have given up my deepest darkest secret to make that pain go away). Weirdly though, the one experience I've never had (in my adult memory) is waking up from anesthesia. I am quite surprised that this one experience is eluding me. I'm quite happy I've never had to experience it, but I have no idea how to write about it.

Could I work around it? Of course I could. I could just start the chapter with "She woke up in the hospital, alone and afraid." But I don't want to. Oh chances are I'll just put something simple like that in there eventually, but I'm sure I could describe it better. More than likely, I'll just try to describe being drunk. I think that's probably a close approximation and a feeling I have experienced. Regardless, I'm going to skip that paragraph for now and work on the rest of the chapter.

I'll end by saying that a couple of my friends will read this and say "Get over it and JUST WRITE!" Well, I will, don't worry about it. But this blog is a chance for me to get my feelings out. So that's exactly what I'm doing. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home