IT Expliots and Musings of an Aspiring Writer

Friday, February 04, 2005

Rebuilding

Since I half-destroyed my heroine yesterday, I decided to rebuild her today. Or at least edit the chapters where I rebuild her. A funny thing happened as I was editing these chapters. I decided to make her even stronger. Somehow, dealing with that dark chapter yesterday, helped me to understand better how she'd need to recover.

The four or five chapters after the one I wrote yesterday are some of the most fulfilling chapters in the book for me. Someone she's known for years suddenly becomes instrumental in her life. I've already said this is a mystery/romance/thriller book so you've probably guessed that this is where the romance comes in. Well, as I've posted before, the romance is a pure, strong love that helps her get through her emotional crap and emerge stronger. To any women reading this post, you're probably wondering why I have her need a man to be able to heal. Well, she doesn't, not really. She'd heal on her own, would probably even end up just as strong as before, but it's easier with our hero at her side. The chapters are fulfilling because our heroine can show her weakness to our hero, but show her strength as well.

{tangent} This issue of strength and weakness is an important one for many women, especially those type A superwomen types. I'm one of those. When I go for something, I go all out. It's why I'm a little obsessed with the writing of this book. I couldn't do this (or much of anything) halfway. This is why I am where I am in my career. I see what I want, what I need, and I go for it. That's strength, determination. However, I've got that weak side too, I just don't let it out. There are days or hours where all I want in life is for someone to take care of me for a change. Unfortunately, strong women don't get that very often. We spend so much of our lives taking care of others and convincing others that we don't need to be taken care of, that those who care for us, don't think that we might need to be taken care of as well. {\tangent}

Ok, back to the chapters. I love these chapters because the heroine and the hero, who are both strong people individually, become stronger together. She makes him stronger every bit as much as he makes her stronger. Isn't that what love really is? Two people coming together who are better together than they are apart? It's heart warming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home